MASTER YOUR CAMERA PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP | SOUTH BANK, LONDON
TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR CAMERA & LEARN THE BASICS OF PHOTOGRAPHY IN THIS TWO PART LONDON PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPWITH PROFESSIONAL TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHER MATTHEW WILLIAMS-ELLIS
IN A SNAPSHOT
ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
If you love taking photos, but want to understand how to take complete control of your camera to achieve the photos in your mind’s eye, then this is the photography workshop for you!
During the two workshops you will learn the fundamentals of photography through ‘in the field’ tutorials, allowing you to practise and experiment with newly learned techniques while photographing some of London’s most iconic locations. The benefit of having two sessions is that you will have time to digest and practice the information from the first week before moving on to more advanced techniques. I am always happy to offer feedback on images from one session to the next too!
At the same time as learning the technical side of photography, we will talk a lot about the thought process of creating (not just taking) photos. I will offer tips on composition, guide your photographic eye and help you develop a proactive photography mindset, ensuring you can apply your new found skills to any given situation when photographing in the future.
The itinerary is flexible, as photography is all about the light. Some subjects suit cloudy days and others suit sunny days. In general though, this mid-week London photography workshop will run as follows:
Part one: Meet close to the London Eye, where we will cover the basics of ISO, aperture, shutter speed, shooting modes and focusing. Once you are comfortable with this, we will talk more about story-telling an composition in the Leake Street Graffiti Tunnels and finish with a sunset and night shoot of the London Eye, where you will learn how to shoot using a long exposures on a tripod to ensure the best results.
Part two: We will meet close to Southbank Centre, where we will further discuss photographic story-telling, compositional techniques and how to capture creative shots while photographing the many subjects along South Bank (book market, buskers, River Thames etc). We will also talk about using slower shutter speeds while capturing shots of the skateboarders in South Bank Skatepark, before heading onto one of the River Thames ‘beaches’ at low tide to capture London from a unique perspective. The photography workshop unfortunately has to come to an end, with a sunset and blue hour/night shoot of St Pauls ensuring you return with beautiful images that you can be proud of!
MEET YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY GUIDE MATTHEW
I am a London-based travel, documentary and landscape photographer. Whether leading photography workshops and holidays, shooting assignments for travel companies or working on personal projects, there is simply nothing better than getting out there and exploring the world with camera in hand.
Travel offers endless fascinating subjects for photography, and whether you join me photographing central London at sunset, capturing lemurs and landscapes in Madagascar or taking portraits of carol singers in bear costumes in Romania, I can’t wait to help you capture them.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- ISO, aperture and shutter speed
- Shooting in manual mode and aperture priority mode
- Experiment with panning in shutter speed priority mode
- Histogram and the importance of exposing to the right
- Try out tips and tricks for eye-catching compositions
- The importance of light and shooting at the best time of day
- Conveying stories in your photographs
- Focus modes and capturing sharp photos
- Selecting the most appropriate equipment (although it is not about what equipment you have, it is how you use it!)
- Camera: Essential(!). Ideally a digital SLR or other camera that can be controlled manually. Please contact before booking if you only have smart phone.
- Lenses: Wide angle lens essential, telephoto lens optional.
- Tripod: Not essential, but without it you will be limited during the sunset/night shoot. Loan can be arranged.
- Filters: Optional
- Other: Wrap up warm if it is a cold day. The temperature drops quickly after the sun sets!
DATES & BOOKING
13 August and 20 August 2019: 6pm to 9pm (sunset 8.28pm and 8.14pm)
If you would like to book, please drop me a message letting me know which dates and I will send you the meet point and payment details. Alternatively, if you have any questions at all, I would be very happy to answer them. I look forward to meeting you!
GET IN TOUCH ABOUT THIS LONDON PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP