MASTER YOUR CAMERA PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP | SOUTH BANK, LONDON
TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR CAMERA & LEARN THE BASICS OF PHOTOGRAPHY IN THIS ONE DAY LONDON PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPWITH PROFESSIONAL TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHER MATTHEW WILLIAMS-ELLIS
IN A SNAPSHOT
ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
If you love taking photos, but want to understand how to take complete control of your camera to achieve the photos in your mind’s eye, then this is the photography workshop for you!
During the workshop you will learn the fundamentals of photography through ‘in the field’ tutorials, allowing you to practise and experiment with newly learned techniques while photographing some of London’s most iconic locations. You won’t get home and find you spent half the day learning depth of field while photographing paper clips on a table!
At the same time as learning the technical side of photography, we will talk a lot about the thought process of creating (not just taking) photos. I will offer tips on composition, guide your photographic eye and help you develop a proactive photography mindset, ensuring you can apply your new found skills to any given situation when photographing in the future.
No two days are exactly the same, as photography is all about the light. Some subjects suit cloudy days and others suit sunny days. In general though, the London photography workshop will run as follows:
Meet: I will offer a brief overview of the day, before setting straight out to explore London with our cameras.
Part one: Head to The London Eye and South Bank area, where we will cover the basics of ISO, aperture, shutter speed, shooting modes and focusing. Once you are comfortable with this, we will start to experiment with slow shutter speeds while photographing interesting subjects along South Bank such as Leake Street Graffiti Tunnels, the Thames, markets, buskers and South Bank’s iconic skate park.
Part two: After a quick break to fuel up, we will discuss photographic story-telling, tricks to create eye-catching compositions and how to make the best of whatever lighting situation you face yourself in. The day unfortunately has to come to an end, with a sunset and blue hour/night shoot over-looking the Thames at somewhere such as Millennium Bridge, ensuring you return home with a variety of images to be proud of.
MEET YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY GUIDE MATTHEW
I am a London-based travel, documentary and landscape photographer. Whether leading photography workshops and holidays, shooting assignments for travel companies or working on personal projects, there is simply nothing better than getting out there and exploring the world with camera in hand.
Travel offers endless fascinating subjects for photography, and whether you join me photographing central London at sunset, capturing lemurs and landscapes in Madagascar or taking portraits of carol singers in bear costumes in Romania, I can’t wait to help you capture them.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- ISO, aperture and shutter speed
- Shooting in manual mode and aperture priority mode
- Experiment with panning in shutter speed priority mode
- Histogram and the importance of exposing to the right
- Try out tips and tricks for eye-catching compositions
- The importance of light and shooting at the best time of day
- Conveying stories in your photographs
- Focus modes and capturing sharp photos
- Selecting the most appropriate equipment (although it is not about what equipment you have, it is how you use it!)
- Camera: Essential(!). Ideally a digital SLR or other camera that can be controlled manually. Please contact before booking if you only have smart phone.
- Lenses: Standard lens (c18-55mm) essential, telephoto lens optional.
- Tripod: Not essential, but without it you will be limited during the sunset/night shoot. Loan can be arranged.
- Filters: Optional
- Other: Wrap up warm if it is a cold day. The temperature drops quickly after the sun sets!
DATES & BOOKING
15 April 2021: 3.00pm to 8.30pm (sunset 8.03pm) – FULL
30 April 2021: 3.15pm to 8.45pm (sunset 8.23pm)
7 May 2021: 3.30pm to 9.00pm (sunset 8.34pm) – FULL
24 May 2021: 4.00pm to 9.30pm (sunset 9.06pm) – FULL
28 May 2021: 4.00pm to 9.30pm (sunset 9.05pm)
18 June 2021: 4.30pm to 10.00pm (sunset 9.28pm)
If you would like to book, please drop me a message letting me know which date and I will send you the meet point and payment details. Alternatively, if you have any questions at all, I would be very happy to answer them. I look forward to meeting you!
GET IN TOUCH ABOUT THIS LONDON PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP