Have you got a spare few minutes to explore Sri Lanka? Then why not join me and travel around this unique island known as ‘The Pearl of the Indian Ocean’?
This slideshow (bottom right icon for full screen) includes my favourite photos of the island of Sri Lanka. As a destination for either a holiday or for travel photography, Sri Lanka may well be my number one destination. There are just too many highlights: beautiful, misty tea plantations, the iconic Sri Lanka stilt fishermen, sacred temple complexes at Anuradhapura and Pollonaruwa, fascinating Sigiriya Rock Temple (the inside of an old volcano), Adams Peak (Sri Pada) which is a site of pilgrimage for three seperate religions…you get the picture! I hope the photos go some way to conveying the beauty of this vibrant, energetic and fascinating country.
I hope you enjoy it!
SRI LANKA PHOTOGRAPHY HIGHLIGHTS SLIDESHOW
Alternatively, scroll down for my top 20 photos of Sri Lanka.
1. Midigama, stilt fisherman at Midigama near Weligama on the South Coast of Sri Lanka
2. Negombo, traditional Sri Lankan oruva fishing boats returning to Negombo fishing market at sunrise
3. Mirissa Beach, surfer surfing at sunset on the South Coast of Sri Lanka
4. Black and white photo of elephants playing at Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage near Kegalle in the Hill Country of Sri Lanka
5. Panoramic photo of a palm tree on Mirissa Beach on the South Coast of Sri Lanka
6. Kiri Vihara in the Ancient City of Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka
7. Kandy Lake and the island which houses the Royal Summer House at sunrise, Kandy, Sri Lanka
8. Sunstar and Buddhist flags on the climb up Adam’s Peak (Sri Pada) in the Central Highlands of Sri Lanka
9. Haputale, sunrise over tea plantations and mountains in the Sri Lanka Hill Country
10. Sri Lanka landscape at sunrise, paddy fields near Dambulla, Sri Lanka
11. Tea picker in a tea plantation in the Sri Lanka Tea Country
12. A woman walking along Mirissa Beach at sunset on the South Coast of Sri Lanka
13. Panoramic photo of stilt fishermen at sunrise at Midigama near Weligama on the South Coast of Sri Lanka
14. Sacred City of Anuradhapura, Jetvanarama Dagoba, aka Jetvanaramaya Stupa in the Cultural Triangle of Sri Lanka
15. Portrait of a stilt fisherman at Midigama near Weligama on the South Coast of Sri Lanka
16. Panoramic photo of Sigiriya Rock Fortress, seen from Pidurangala Rock in Sri Lanka
17. Outrigger fishing boat on Negombo Beach at sunrise on the West Coast of Sri Lanka
18. Portrait of a fisherman at Negombo Fish Market, Sri Lanka
19. Star trails photo of Adams Peak (Sri Pada) in the Central Highlands of Sri Lanka
20. Farmer working in the Nuwara Eliya District of the Sri Lanka Highlands
Thank you so much for look through all my photos. If you still have an appetite for exploring more of Sri Lanka, I’d love it if you checked out my full Sri Lanka photography highlights gallery or visited my full collection of photos of Sri Lanka in my archive.
Latest posts by Matthew Williams-Ellis (see all)
- Photos of Piran, Slovenia – New Photo Gallery - August 20, 2014
- Photos of Soca River Valley, Slovenia – New Photo Gallery - August 19, 2014
- Photos of Skocjan Caves, Slovenia – New Photo Gallery - August 7, 2014